Photography Credit to Babak Dowlatshahi of InsightFoto.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

I think I'm looking forward to this year's end as much as David. We're almost through my health crisis and looking forward to our first wedding anniversary.


To say this was a bad year is really not true. We had some great moments and some really rotten  moments but we've been strong, our love has grown and we are ready for the New Year.

It amazes me how fast the year flew by. A year ago we were sending last-minute invitations, making the last of the wedding payments, finalizing the flowers, paying the hotel and the guys were getting their tuxes ordered. Christmas last year flew by and we didn't really have time to think about the loved ones we were missing. This year, I think David had a harder time without his mom. In 2009, we were celebrating our first Christmas together and her death was still so fresh and raw, that I think it was something he tried to not think about for a while. This Christmas we were still raw and living through my breast cancer diagnosis. In fact, Christmas and New Years has falling right in the middle of the radiation treatment and the loss of his mother really hit him this year. I've watched him maintain strength and courage for me, but I've also seen him worry and feel sad as well.

I think we both felt a sense of relief when we knew that I was going to be ok-- but there were moments when we both were scared and sad. There are still moments where the fears creep in and make me lose it emotionally, but as I'm almost through the hard stuff, I feel better. I know that the prognosis is good but it will always be part of me. And while it is not defining me, it will define the way I live the rest of my life and the steps I take to keep it from coming back.

2012 will bring change and might just bring some nice surprises for us. Hopefully, we'll get our houses sold and be on the way to building our dream home. We both hope to be healthier, stronger and fitter by year's end. I hope we'll have good news on the baby front as well. I just know that I appreciate all that I have so much more, that life is sweet and precious.

I'm blessed.


2 comments:

  1. Maria, I have not had the pleasure of meeting you but work in the same building with your husband. He and I chat occasionally when I am downstairs and want to watch the birds outside his window.

    We have chatted here and there and I think both of you are so lucky to have each other. When I heard the two of you were engaged, I was thrilled for you.

    This last year for both of you I know has been so hard - but I can't think of 2 other people that could have navigated it better. My prayers are always with both of you and the love that will carry you through to your wonderful future. Stay healthy and know that you are cared for by your family, friends....and folks you don't even know. Many blessings to you both - GGF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gayla,

    Thank you so much for the lovely words. I mean to get back to you sooner and say your thoughts and prayers are so appreciated. We were so very touched that you gave us a wedding gift. I know I haven't properly thanked you for that.

    It heartens me that David has so many wonderful work friends and colleagues. He is a wonderful man and I'm a very lucky woman that he liked me enough to ask me out again and again. ;) Seriously, I'm grateful that he is in my life and am blessed he is my husband.

    Thank you so much,
    God Bless You,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete

Leave a a comment, cheerful thought or something for David and Maria.