My mind is full of thoughts. What I’m about to say may not
be popular or even pleasant, but I’m still grieving and feeling raw right now. I’m
not big on Thanksgiving as a rule. In our daily lives, we should always give
Thanks for what we have. Whether or not we believe in God or a being greater
than ourselves, we should always recognize the good things in our lives—our
blessings—our loved ones, our talents, our treasures, our health or whatever we
hold dear. We must be thankful for those things. We should treat everyone with
honor and respect and look out for those who aren’t as fortunate.
Lately, maybe I am more conscious of what I am thankful for
and more aware of the blessings all around me. I have a loving husband who has
been kind, compassionate, loving and willing to sacrifice so much of his time
to help me, my mother and my father as he was ailing. David didn’t have to do
what he did for us, but he did so out of love and respect. He’s a treasure and
a blessing I will always cherish and thank him for being part of our lives. I
don’t need a day on the calendar to tell him this. Nor anyone else. I try to be
mindful of these things, but I fail. Maybe that is why “Thanksgiving Day”
exists. So, perhaps it is a good thing.
It goes without saying how blessed and thankful I am for my
parents. They have taught me how to love, provided me with a good home, values
and morals. The lessons they taught me have shaped me; and I hope, have molded
me into a decent human being. They gave me a solid faith and belief in God. And
I try to remember these lessons daily even though I often fail.
As I watched my dad’s health fail this year, I learned more
about myself than I thought possible. I also think I managed to find patience.
Sometimes, my dad wasn’t easy to get along with. He had a strong personality.
We fought like cats and dogs, we spared verbally, not always using PG language,
but we always made up. We also loved and adored each other. He was truly my
best friend. We did so much together and when a day went by that we didn’t see
or talk to one another, one of us called to check on the other.
When we knew he wasn’t going to get well and that his days
on this Earth were fewer and fewer, we rallied behind him and did everything we
could to make sure he was happy, comfortable and loved. My extended family pitched in
with visits, bringing meals or just being there for my mom and me. My aunts and
uncles were a blessing. They visited him, offered my mom their support, took
her to run errands or stayed with Dad so she could take a break. His friends
came to see him, prayed with him and prayed for him; my uncle faithfully
brought him the Eucharist and cousins came to help. My own friends did what
they could to make life easier for us. I’m grateful to the hospice and the
caregivers my dad had in the last few weeks of his life. I’m thankful for his
doctor who did his best to treat him even knowing it was a longshot.
Nothing about Dad’s dying was or is easy. There are bitter
feelings; there is anger and resentment. These feelings will
dissipate with time, but for the moment, nothing can ease the pain. Friends,
family and co-workers have paid their respects and honored my father in many
ways, and I will always be grateful and thankful for that. Some came to the funeral
home for the visitation; some stayed for the rosary and some sent cards. Many
offered condolences, paid for Masses or sent flowers. I hope some donated money
in his name. Many others came to Dad’s Funeral Mass and I will remember the
faces of those who were there. I don’t need to see a name in a guestbook to
know who came. Each and every one of you will forever be in my memory. I am
thankful to those, especially my non-religious/non-Catholic friends and family, who came to
his funeral out of respect. That is what mattered. I will never forget you, as
I will never forget looking around the church for faces that should have been
there and were not there-- no apologies or excuses given for their absence. That sting will lessen in time, but it does hurt. I
am so thankful for the many messages of condolences I received. And sadly, I’ll
remember waiting for the messages that never came. It’s too late for apologies
or sympathies. I don’t mean to be bitter and harbor resent because in the end,
all that mattered was my father and the people who loved him, respected him and
cared for him were there for him yesterday. We laughed, we cried and we
remembered him. And in the end, it was for him we celebrated his life—in a way
that honored him with our traditions and our faith.
Maria,
ReplyDeleteReading your words about your father is almost deja vu to me. I lost my father 3-1/2 years ago and he and I had always been peas in a pod and so very close. My father was an absolutely wonderful soul with such a heart full of love and compassion for everyone.
Losing Dad was the hardest thing I have ever gone through. It is something one does never gets over - but you do get through it. You will be surprised at the strength you have that you never knew about. I miss Dad everyday - always will but have been so grateful to have had him in my life guiding me. I was with him when he died - we had him at home and just before he died, I could tell he was restless...as if he was worried. I told him how much I loved him and thanked him for giving me so much that could never be repaid. I told him if he was worried about Mom, he didn't need to be and assured him that I would take care of Mom and she would be fine. He died 10 minutes later. And I have spent the last 3-1/2 years flying back and forth to Texas every 6-8 weeks to take care of Mom. It has been hard, exhausting, expensive -- but I would do it all over again without any hesitation. Mom and I were never close and in the last few years of taking care of her, we have developed a wonderful and close relationship we never had. I look at it as a gift from Dad. And I remain so grateful that I was with him at the end of his life. He was there when I was welcomed into the world and I was with him to send him off.
The heartbreak eases with time - the loss will always be palpable. But I focus on the incredible number of blessings we were graced with - I can't complain. He was beloved by the community and our small chapel in Texas was standing room only by the time it was over with. And even though it has been 3-1/2 years...I still can't believe it sometimes. Logically I knew he wouldn't live forever...emotionally I couldn't fathom what his loss would be like. But I remain grateful that he was not sick for a long time and his life had been wonderful. Grief is the price we pay for love and I love him everyday. I try to follow his many examples and be worthy of his lessons...and it helps me. Everyone handles grief differently and there is no right or wrong way to grieve...it is personal, it is individual and there is no timetable.
It does get better - it does. My thoughts and prayers are with you and David. You two have certainly experienced years of ups and downs in the last 12-14 months - there is nothing you two can't do! Good things are around the corner and life will return to a sweet cycle of experiences for you with wonderful memories ahead. It is what your father would want for you. Love is a gift. You are stronger than you imagined and have the courage and wisdom with which to build new happiness.
I have probably written way too much but just wanted you to know I am thinking about you and your family. With deepest sympathy and care - Gayla
Hi Gayla,
ReplyDeleteThank you for the beautiful comment. It touched me so deeply and I thank you so much for your words of wisdom. David told me that you've been going back to Texas every month or so to help you mom. I admire your devotion and fortitude. At least we only have to go a mile to be there for my mom. Mom and I are finding our way. We weren't as close and in the last few years, we've been discovering a nice friendship nonetheless.
We certainly have been through a lot and I really am hoping that the road will be a little smoother in the days ahead but we certainly are strong enough and buckled in for any type of road we encounter these days.
I'm doing my best to move on without Dad. It's not easy and there is always something that reminds me of him. That will always be the case. I've also started trying to forgive. I'm sure the disappointment I've felt in some people will continue to linger for some time, but one day I'll learn to forgive. I'll pray for them and continue to love them despite how I feel right now. It's all I can do and it's what Dad would want.
That's pretty much how I view a lot of things now-- through Dad's eyes. It's tough filling his shoes when it comes to taking care of things. One day I'll figure it out.
Maria
We have just returned from Texas and Christmas with my mother. The holidays without Dad are never the same but we are learning to enjoy the importance of our holiday and try to be grateful for the years we had Dad with us. This was the first Christmas without my brother's wife, Lucy. We lost her in April and so we had one less family member - but we had one new member: my niece had a boy in June and although his Asian background is large....he bears a resemblance to Dad and we love that!
ReplyDeleteDon't try to fill your Dad's shoes...he loved you in your own shoes and they will carry you down any path you choose. You can follow your father's path - but your shoes are as worthy and wonderful as you are.
I hope you and David have the best new year ever! Something great is around the corner - I believe that! I enjoy our messages and promise my husband will never run over you!! Everyone in Texas kept wishing us a safe journey home to New Mexico....it was all I could do to keep from saying, "with Michael's driving we have a 50/50 shot!" Happy New Year to two of my favorite folks!
Thank you so much for this reminder Gayla. I think you're right, I cannot fill his shoes, but I'm stubborn enough to try. I suppose I'll learn that I cannot and will settle for doing my best.
ReplyDeleteWe had a good Christmas and I'm trying my best to make 2013 a good year! So far, so good.
Happy New Year to you and yours.