Photography Credit to Babak Dowlatshahi of InsightFoto.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Dress Me.

One of the first questions I'm asked is what kind of a dress am I going to wear? The answer is, well, I want this dress, but I can't afford the original. It came out four years ago anyway. Mom and I are thinking of trying to recreate it in  an A-line shape instead of a ball gown. We just need to figure out what to do about the embroidery. I also shouldn't say "we" as I'm a piss poor seamstress and my mother is the best. She could have been a designer like the greats. I think that's what she wanted to do with her life, but she went to nursing school, which she hated. Anyway... I'm hoping that we can find someone with an embroidery machine who can do the hard work on the dress. If we go with this dress.

Back in the old days, it was traditional for Spanish brides to wear black and I'd like to add a bit of that tradition to my wedding.

The more and more I look at this dress, I'm in love with it. I'm not sure if I can do the ruffled trim and bow in black and get a look that I like but maybe. It may look a bit too weird. I suppose Mom can try both and see what we like best. My mom can definitely make either dress, but she's been so stressed and tired with putting up with my dad, I actually feel guilty for asking her to make my dress. Of course, it has always been a given that she would make my dress, so now that it's here, I'm torn.

The other thing is there are no nice fabric stores in Santa Fe. I'm hoping a trip to Albuquerque next week produces nice results. If not, maybe I'll borrow someone's couch in NYC while I go fabric shopping. :)

I think they're both simple dresses, with some ornate details but nothing over the top. I've been offered by a dear friend to use the mantilla she made for her daughter, and I'm considering that. I'm not sure how I feel about a veil. It might be nice. We'll see.

We're going to book the hotel for the reception on Thursday. I'm meeting a florist tomorrow and we're meeting photographers Friday. I'll pick up my baptismal certificate and drop that off at the church and see when we need to start on our classes. It would be nice to be able to test out.  I'm investigating prices at nearby hotels for out of town guests. I'll get travel info together and other details for guests coming to the wedding who aren't familiar with Santa Fe. (Watch this space for that information.)

Dressing the groom will be a whole post onto itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a a comment, cheerful thought or something for David and Maria.